July 8, 2013
We’ve written a bit about why we’re relauching Xanga… and wanted to followup with a bit about our vision for Xanga 2.0!
We’re working super hard right now on building Xanga 2.0, so that it brings the goodness of Xanga together with the power of the WordPress platform. As we’ve been building the new site, we’ve focused on three things that have been great for Xanga over the years… and that we’d like to bring to the Xanga 2.0:
When we first launched Xanga, it was really simple. You could blog, other people could sub to you, and you could read all of your subscriptions on a single page. There was a real power to this simplicity and it made it really easy for new users to understand how Xanga worked.
Over time, Xanga got a bit more complicated and harder to explain. For example, what’s the difference between friends and subs? If pressed, I would explain that there are three main differences:
* Subs are one-way while friending is two-way.
* The full text of subs posts show up on your subs page, while snippets of both subs and friends posts show up in your Universal Inbox.
* You can use friends to Friends Lock your entire site.
Not exactly drop dead simple! So we’re looking to streamline stuff like this, while retaining the power of stuff like Friends Lock and the subs page (the subs page has always been my favorite page on Xanga!).
We’re really focusing the site on getting back to what has really worked over the years! Ah, simplicity…
Whenever anyone asks me what Xanga is all about, I always answer: “blog community.” To me, that’s what makes the site fun: you can blog, and there’s a community of people generally excited to read your posts (and vice versa).
I know a lot of people who have tried other blogging platforms, and they’ll often say that they feel they’re publishing into a vacuum… and that nobody is reading their blogs. We’re working to keep that warm community feeling on Xanga… so that when you post, your subs can quickly and easily chime in with a comment. (As part of that, we’ll be importing every single login over – along with all subscriptions/friends – so that your subs can continue to read your posts even if they’re not blogging on Xanga 2.0).
We’re incredibly excited about using the WordPress platform, as the publishing software is incredibly powerful. As we adapt it for use for Xanga 2.0, we’re working to make sure that all that power is combined with the warm fuzzy feeling of Xanga community love as well.
Xanga has built a lot of privacy features over the years, including Protected Posting, Site Lock, Friends Lock and more. We’re working to recreate those for Xanga 2.0… as well as to add more over time, like multiple lists for protected posting!
So many publishing/networking tools are focused on making everything public. Privacy is going to be core to the Xanga 2.0 experience, so I’m sure we’ll be working with the community to prioritize further privacy enhancements! Let us know if there are any you’d like to see in the comments below!
While I have you guys, a quick update on the fundraiser:
* We’ve raised almost $38k, which puts us over 63% of the way there! That’s almost 2/3 of the way to our goal!!
* When I was on Alex’s radio show last week, a few of you guys asked if it was possible to extend the fundraiser end date. I looked into it and it’s actually possible… so we’ve extended the fundraiser through the end of the month. That gives us 23 days to finish raising the remaining funds!
And here’s an update on Xanga 2.0 too!
* We’ve been making steady progress on building all the features we’ll need for Xanga 2.0.
* We’ve found a great new webhost and purchased a hosting plan on it, and have provisioned it with the software we’ll need to run Xanga 2.0!!
* We’re working now on getting ready for the big changeover… writing code and importing data.
* We’re targeting the end of the month (July 31st) for changing over to Xanga 2.0. That means that there’s a little more than two extra weeks of Xanga 1.0 for everyone… and we have a little extra time to get Xanga 2.0 in tip top shape for you all!
Many thanks to the incredibly generous Xangans who have pledged to support our fundraiser… your support means the world to us! We’ll start getting in touch next week about your Xanga 2.0 accounts.
If you’re considering joining the Xanga 2.0 migration, please check out our fundraiser here:
In the meantime, I hope you guys are beating the heat! We had a brutal heat wave here in NYC, but my kids have been using a whole bag of tricks to stay cool.
Some of the local playgrounds pop the cap of their water features.
We’ve been making Zoku instant popsicles as needed.
And we’ve been staying indoors when possible, like last Thursday morning for the fourth of July!
I got way, way too much sun last week, so I’ll be staying indoors as much as possible in the coming week! Hope you guys are surviving the heat wave… and thanks again for your support! - John@Xanga
Post a Comment
- Meredith Kaminski on We’re working to make ~2 million blog archive backups available for FREE download asap
- eugenia on Update
- GreekPhysique on Update
- JAMAL HOSEN on We’re working to make ~2 million blog archive backups available for FREE download asap
- DiAVoLaKi_313 on Update